Sunday, January 7, 2018

Creation Station: Color My World!


#stampinup   #creationstation   #faithfulinkspirations   Happy New Year! Welcome to the first Creation Station blog hop of 2018.  Our design team has created some amazing projects showcasing the beautiful Stampin' Up colors and coloring tools!

This month's theme brings me a smile because "Color My World" was the theme for my junior prom. (Yes, I'm that old, though the song had been out for a few years.) So I've been humming that song for a few days now. It's brought back some happy memories. I've also been panicking a bit over the theme because coloring isn't one of my best skills. But practice makes perfect, right? Let's consider today's projects "practice," OK?

First up is a card made with one of the cutest sets in the Occasions catalog: "Bird Banter." I just love this set! There are some fun images to color and some really funny sentiments.
I started with a 4-1/4" by 5-1/2" Peekaboo Peach Card Stock Card base. I scored it at 2-3/4" and 5-1/2". The Bermuda Bay mats are 2-1/2" by 4" and 5-1/4" by 4". The Whisper White panels are 2-3/8" by 3-7/8" and 5-1/8" by 3-7/8". I added a 3/4" strip of Tutti-Frutti Designer Series Paper at the bottom of each Whisper White panel.

I stamped the sentiment in Bermuda Bay onto the smaller mat and I stamped the toucan in Basic Gray Archival Ink. I added a Bermuda Bay Branch for him to perch on float above. I used a sticky note to mask the DSP on the larger mat and then I stamped the balloon three times, at different heights.

I took a scrap of Whisper White to use as my palette and I scribbled Real Red, Melon Mambo, Rich Razzleberry, Daffodil Delight, Bermuda Bay, Pumpkin Pie, and Basic Gray Watercolor Pencils onto my palette and used a just-slightly-wet Aqua Painter to pick up the colors before applying them to my stamped images. I went over the finished images with Clear Wink of Stella to brighten the finished colors and give them a little sparkle.

When you open the card, you get a little surprise--a bit more stamping and coloring inside!
I stamped the hearts in Real Red Ink and the sentiment in Bermuda Bay. I used Real Red and Melon Mambo Watercolor Pencils and an Aqua Painter to fill in the hearts. I also applied some Wink of Stella to the hearts.

For my next card, I used the new Stampin' Blends to color the flowers from the "Amazing You" Sale-a-Bration set. I stamped the flowers in Memento Tuxedo Black Ink onto a Thick Whisper White Card Stock scrap. I used the brush tip of a Light Calypso Coral Stampin' Blend to add color to two flowers and I used Light Pink Pirouette on the third flower. Once I laid down the base coat of color, I went back with the "bullet" tip of the Dark Calypso Coral and Pink Pirouette Blend to add some dimension. These flower stamps make that easy--I just added the dark color in the darker shadows and along the lines. Then I went back over each flower with the "bullet" tip of the light Blend. When I was finished I added Clear Wink of Stella.

Then, I stamped the flower in Memento Tuxedo Black Ink three times onto a 3" Whisper White square, overlapping them a bit and I stamped "you" onto the corner of the square. I adhered this to a Calypso Coral scalloped square that I cut with one of the Layering Squares Framelits. I fussy cut the colored flowers and then used the top of my Mono-Multi Adhesive bottle to form a dome on the back side of each. I used a Stampin' Dimensional on the back side to adhere the flowers to the stamped square.

The final card is a "flip fold card." Search it on You Tube or Pinterest. It's easy to make. My dimensions are as follows:

Basic Black Card Stock base: 4-1/4" by 9-3/4", scored at 4-1/4"
Pool Party mat (front): 4" square
Whole Lot of Lovely DSP panel: 3-7/8" square
Pool Party mat (inside): 4" by 5-1/4"
Powder Pink panel (inside): 3-7/8" by 5-1/8"
Basic Black hinge: 1-1/2" by 4", scored at 1/2"
Pool Party hinge: 1" by 4", scored at 1/2"
Powder Pink Shimmer Ribbon for the hinge

When you lift the flower piece an open the card, a sentiment is revealed! I stamped the sunburst from the "Amazing You" set in Crushed Curry onto a 2-5/8" Whisper White square, cut with the Stitched Shapes Framelits. I added the sentiment from the same set in Memento Tuxedo Black. I adhered this piece to a 2-7/8" Calypso Coral scalloped square cut with one of the Layering Squares Framelits.

One more turn reveals the inside of the card.

I used the Sale-a-Bration "Celebrate You" Framelits to cut the word "amazing" from a piece of Powder Pink Card Stock and another one from a piece of Basic Black Card Stock. I adhered the Basic Black piece to the card first, using the Fine-Tip Glue Pen. Then I adhered the Powder Pink Piece, just off-set so that it looks like a shadow. Cool, huh?


I hope you are inspired by my projects. Now hop on to Julie Beltramo's blog to get more inspiration. See you back here on the first Sunday in February!










https://justjulieb30.blogspot.com/2018/01/creation-station-blog-hop-color-my-world.html



Product List

Product List

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have been back to your prom because of our theme ;0) Your use of the watercolor pencils is totally divine--you are a great colorer. Both cards are stunning. Smiles, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so wonderful. Your coloring is great--and I love that you paired the pencils with the Wink of Stella on the first card. I need to check out these card construction techniques--your cards are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so nice cards! Have a lovely sunday, kind regards, Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards! Love the colours and shape of your cards! Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great projects, Kathy! The colors are fantastic! I need to get that bird set out and start playing! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way your fold reveals the surprise sentiment! Cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this fold of card and it works beautifully with both cards here. Fabulous projects xx

    ReplyDelete