Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Happy Birthday Bro

#stampinup   My brother's birthday is coming up this weekend and, of course, I've waited until the last minute to make him a card. I'm sure I'm not the only procrastinator on the planet. Am I right? Besides, sometimes I create better under pressure.

This week's sketch at the Nacho Average Challenge blog is perfect for a quick, masculine birthday card. 



I'll let you in on my creative process. I check out the challenge blogs and decide which ones match up with my style. Once I accept a challenge (by which I mean that I've decided to enter the challenge), I take a look at the challenge before I leave for work. During the course of the work day, my mind wanders to the creation I'll be making in the evening and I plan out my card. Later, when I have time to sit down to put my idea to paper, I've already worked through the design process and I just have to pull the elements together.

This card for my brother was very quick and easy to pull together. I started with a 5/8" x 12" strip of Bohemian Designer Series paper--and that set my color scheme. I cut the strip in half and then fit it to my Soft Suede mat and snipped off the over-hanging ends. I flagged the left-side ends of the strips with the Banner Punch.

Next, I embossed the Soft Suede mat with the Lucky Stars embossing folder and adhered the DSP flags with Fast Fuse adhesive. I find this sticks better that Snail adhesive when one of the layers has been embossed. I adhered the Soft Suede assembly to a Night of Navy card base.

I stamped the "happy, happy, happy, happy birthday to you" sentiment in Island Indigo on a scrap of Very Vanilla and trimmed it just outside the image. I stamped another image in Blackberry Bliss and fussy cut the second and fourth "happys" and adhered them with a tiny piece of a Stampin' Dimensional to the Island Indigo image. I would normally mat a Very Vanilla piece, but I think the "naked" look makes this element pop on this card, so I left it alone.

Finally, I stamped the birthday cake in Blackberry Bliss onto a Very Vanilla scrap and punched it with the 1-1/4" Circle Punch. I mounted this on an Island Indigo piece that I punched with the 1-3/8" Circle Punch. I adhered this piece to the card with Stampin' Dimensionals.

This time I think I nailed the masculine feel!!



Product List
133519s
[133519]
$13.00

4 comments:

  1. What a fun card! Great use of the sketch. Thanks for joining us at Nacho Average Challenges this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect masculine card. Glad this challenge matched your style and you decided to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those strong patterns on the Bohemian paper are great for masculine projects. Great job and thanks for playing along with the Nacho sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great use of the sketch!! can always use masculine ideas -- TFS!!

    ReplyDelete